In one week we will be on the road to see one of our nation's greatest landscapes. I'm getting very excited for our adventure!!!
Then to add to the fun, I showed Luke what the back of the mountain looks like. (this picture has been around for awhile now, but I think it's still funny and clever)
Mt. Rushmore Facts:
- Sculptor Gutzon Borglum began drilling into the 5,725-foot mountain in 1927, at the age of 60.
- Creation of the Shrine of Democracy took 14 years and cost a mere $1 million.
- Rushmore's granite faces tower 5,500 feet above sea level.
- The carvings on Mount Rushmore are scaled to men who would stand 465 feet tall.
- Each head on Mt. Rushmore is as tall as a six-story building.
- More that 800 million pounds of stone were removed from Mount Rushmore while carving the presidents.
- Each president's face is as tall as the entire Great Sphinx of Egypt, measuring 60 feet from the chin to the top of the head.
- The president's noses are 20 feet long, each mouth 18 feet wide and the eyes are 11 feet across.
- The workers had to climb 506 steps daily to get to the top of Mount Rushmore.